Sunday, July 28, 2013

Any reason to get in the pond......

July 28 2013....
       A couple of weeks ago I felled a couple of tallow trees (poisoned the stumps) cut the bottoms to as sharp of a point as I could with a chain saw, and pruned the tops back to be used as bird perches out in the middle of the big pond. A weekend later I hopped in the pond and dragged one out to the middle and stood it up and tried my best to get it to stick upright in the mud.....not even close....... the bottom of the pond is just too firm. So I hauled it back to the bank and left it....until today. Today I brought a post hole digger!!! I drove to the property and sprayed my first herbicide application on the three soon to be prairie plots. By the time I was done spraying I was dying to hop into the cool waters of the pond. I pulled the post hole digger out and waded out to the middle of the pond and commenced diggin a hole......under the water ........not the easiest task but at least every time I hit redline and thought I was gonna overheat all I had to do was take a seat and cool off. Well, in no time I had two holes about four feet deep  so I stood up the two trees and low and behold, they stood up and stayed up...pretty sturdy too.
I'm gonna try to add at least two every time I go until it gets cold to make a nice little rookery spot.


No comments:

Post a Comment